Patient Engagement for Future GP Services at Pond Tail Surgery (Godstone)
Pond Tail Surgery, in Godstone, Surrey, is a well-established practice with a registered list size of 7,263. Uncertainty about Pond Tail practice has arisen since the sad, untimely death of the former, single handed contract holder, Dr Khan-Gilbert. Current short term, temporary arrangements expire in July and there is now a need to secure the longer-term future for the patient list.
Current situation and actions
- Delivery of GP Services rely on the availability of premises and current uncertainty surrounding the Landlord’s agreement to permit continued use of the current site means that all alternative options need to be explored before a formal recommendation can be made by the commissioner.
- A number of actions are being carried out including:
- Ongoing discussions with the practice landlords regarding both short- and long-term occupancy options. It should be noted that a short-term extension will afford more time to conduct a competitive procurement process should alternative local premises for longer -term occupation be identified.
- Initiating an independent exercise to understand the likelihood and feasibility of securing alternative potential premises from which to deliver services – which, as above, will inform the feasibility of successful competitive procurement.
- Ongoing engagement with local practices to explore support requirements in the event that list dispersal becomes necessary.
- Surrey Heartlands Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) recognises the concern caused by this uncertainty and acknowledges that patients have the right to choose alternative practices. However, we wish to assure everyone that we will ensure continuity of access to GP care throughout and, in the event that it becomes necessary, we will work with patients to provide advice and support to re-register elsewhere.
- In summary, there is currently no need for patients to choose alternative practices as Pond Tail Surgery remains open and continues to provide necessary care to its registered list.
Why we are seeking your views
Surrey Heartlands CCG is seeking to understand patient priorities for future service provision and what matters most to patients.
Between 10 December 2020 and 18 January 2021, we carried out an informal engagement to advise patients registered at Pond Tail Surgery about the different options under consideration. It is normal and recommended practice to informally engage with patients and the public to help shape options. The Pond Tail Surgery survey closed on Monday 18 January.
Pond Tail Surgery Latest Update – February 2021
Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete and submit the survey. We had 1708 full responses which represents 24% of the patients registered with the practice. We have now analysed the online and paper copies of completed surveys and await the completion of an estates review, aimed at identifying any potential sites and buildings that could house a viable GP practice. Many people recommended buildings and sites in the survey that could be suitable and we’d just like to thank people for sharing this particular insight.
All information gathered so far, including the survey results and the estates review, will be considered shortly by the CCG’s relevant primary care committees. Given that procurement may be an option, we are obliged to maintain confidentiality for all papers but we are thoroughly committed to publishing information as and when possible under these rules. Our overriding concern is to ensure that patients at Pond Tail Surgery continue to have access to primary care in the most convenient way possible. As soon as we can, we will write to every patient at Pond Tail Surgery to update them on next steps. Surrey Heartlands CCG welcomes patient feedback at every stage and all comments will be taken into consideration.
How to submit feedback
Surrey Heartlands CCG welcomes patient feedback at every stage and all comments will be taken into consideration.
- Tel: 0300 561 1555
- SMS: 07917 087 560 (text phone only)
- Write: FAO Communications and Engagement Team, NHS Surrey Heartlands CCG, Cedar Court, Guildford Road, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 9AE and make sure you include your full address and postcode